Family Photo 2011

Family Photo 2011
Just before the deployment

Monday, October 8, 2012

Making Bryce's Halloween Costume

For the first time ever I am making a Halloween Costume.  Bryce and her friend are going to be clowns--not the typical red nose, big shoes clown, but a cute trendy clown.  I would have had no clue how to make a costume, or rather, I wouldn't have wanted to figure it out on my own ;).  However, my friend Shari, just happens to be the friend's mom, and is super crafty.  She already made her daughter's costume and is helping me make the jacket, shirt, and hat for the costume and she taught me how to do the tutu and umbrella.  So I'm going to share with you my progress, because instead of cleaning today I spent the day crafting. 

So I start with my supplies:
 I had already cut some of the tulle, but still had about 8 rolls to cut.  Before this picture I had measured the elastic to fit around Bryce's waist and hot glued it. 

  
This is the mound of tulle I had after cutting it all.
 
 Here is the skirt after the first color
 and then I added Green
 And here it is with 3 colors--purple, blue and green.  I would have been happy with it at this stage for a normal tulle skirt, but because its for a clown I wanted it super fluffy so I kept going.

 Here is a close up to what the band looks like.  It doesn't matter so much how you loop it around the elastic as long as you do it the same for the whole skirt.
 Here is the skirt with all five colors.  I love how all the colors look together.  However, the elastic had stretched out so I needed to fix it so it would still fit Bryce.
 Here is a close up of the elastic that was stretched.  I cut out the extra and reglued the ends together.  Then I took some extra tulle an covered up the exposed elastic.
 and here it is...the finished skirt. 
 Then I started with the umbrella.  First I cut out the flowers from the lace.  I cut 25 from each of the four colors. 
 Here is the pile of cut out flowers.
 Here I am getting ready to hot glue everything onto the umbrella.  I found the umbrella at Michaels in the wedding section.
 First I hot glued the mini pink boa around the edges. 
 Then I hot glued on each of the flowers.  Needless to say my fingertips have a few blisters.  The hot glue kept attacking me.  ;)

Since I spent the day crafting today, I suppose tomorrow will be spent on cleaning.  After I spend some time volunteering at the school in the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment