Family Photo 2011

Family Photo 2011
Just before the deployment

Sunday, July 15, 2012

The kids are at camp!

So the day that I have been looking forward to since May finally arrived!  Today I dropped the kids off at Camp Corral--a camp for military children sponsored by The Golden Corral.  The big surprise?  I didn't think it would be so hard for me to leave.  I had a lump in my throat for about the first 40 minutes worrying if they'd be okay, did I pack enough for them, and going through some "what ifs" until finally I just gave it up to God.  But I was really surprised at how hard it was considering how much I've been looking forward to 5 days of no tattling, no worrying about babysitters or dragging kids around--just some peace and quiet.  It may sound a little bad that I have been looking forward to a break, but doing mom and dad duty is exhausting, and with no family close by, there aren't very many breaks to be had.

I could kick myself that I don't have any pictures to post of dropping them off, but after the 3 1/2 hour drive to camp and waiting in line to check in the kids weren't showing me some happy faces.  Plus, I think the kids were a little unsure.  Bryce has been excited about it like I have been.  And why not--I mean they get to go zip-lining, and something called a flying squirrel, and do a lot of other adventures.  Heck, I wish I was young enough to go!  Jace, on the other hand, hasn't been dreading it, but he has been a little hesitant about wanting to go.  So at first there weren't any pics because I didn't want and pics of pouting kids. 

The pouting changed pretty quickly once we got to their cabins.  They were so excited!! They barely wanted to wait for me (but they had to).  We went to each cabin to check in and the kids picked out bunks--I was so happy there was a friendly kid in each of their cabins that welcomed them and said hey--sleep next to me!  As soon as that happened we couldn't get their luggage fast enough.  I was supposed to help them unpack and get settled, but neither of them wanted my help.  I left Bryce organizing her bed and luggage and walked Jace to his cabin where I tried to help him get settled.  I got him to make his bed up.  Then the cabin counselor told him their swim time was coming up if he wanted to go get his swim suit on--and he grabbed it and left without saying goodbye!  What a stinker ;)  I was just happy to see them happy.  Until I got to the car and almost started crying....almost.  Now to plan my week--maybe I can work in a pinterest project or two :D


No comments:

Post a Comment