Family Photo 2011

Family Photo 2011
Just before the deployment

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Next time we buy a house...

So in the two years since we've bought this house I have been learning about a lot of things I need to make sure I watch out for next time.  I keep saying I'm going to write them down but haven't actually put them down on paper.  I keep thinking I'll remember them when I get around to doing it, but I know my memory isn't that good.

I started thinking about my house buying list again today because I was woken up early ( a lot earlier than I wanted) to the neighbors building a fence.  First, let me explain why this is upsetting.  The lot next to us was not developed for about a year after we moved in, and only after Danny and some other neighbors help clean it up from the hazardous pit it that it had become.  The lot never looked big enough for them to build on, but the minute it was clean up, they started developing it.  When they started developing it, they added about 2 to 3 feet of height to the lot making it so that their back yard is practically level with the top of our fence.  The whole time during the building process Danny kept talking to the builder and contractor about his concerns with how they built it up and connecting to our fence.  There are some other minor issues about how much we had to pay for our fence, the fact that the builder didn't even give us a courtesy notice to let us know they'd be doing it, etc.  At any rate, Danny did not want them building on the fence and since he was gone it was my job to enforce it--not something I'm good at.

So at 7:30 this morning when I'm woken up by the sound of them using an auger to dig the post holes I run outside were I meet up with the other neighbor who is concerned about them using her fence and we get into a discussion.  I found out some useful things.  One, no one has any clue where the property lines are--including the fencing contractor.  Two--no one was given a survey map at closing.  And three--the real estate agent/developer/builder are no help at all and are quite rude.  So, my neighbor takes on the task of getting a hold of Jag, while I get a hold of Danny and a surveyor.

By lunch I have found out that there is some friendly fence clause in some sort of document--not sure which--that allows builders to just use a fence on the property line without asking.  I have also found out that our fence is on the property line--I got lucky and found a great surveyor (by chance) who gave me a good military discount and I now have my property dimensions.

So there is nothing we can do about the fence--unless I wanted to take it down and move it fully onto my property.  Not saying it wouldn't have happened if Danny was here because he was pretty hot after the way the realtor spoke to him, but we probably won't worry about it after he comes back.  On the positive side, I no longer have to worry about when the fight about how they build the fence is going to come (because I knew it was going to come at some point) and its over and decided.  I am also happy that I know my property dimensions since the fencing guy tried to tell me that my fence was actually on the neighboring lot.

So, while I'm thinking about it I'm going to start my list of things to remember next time we buy a house.  Feel free to chime in with anything you've learned the hard way.

1.  Research the builder--do not take the realtor's word that they are a long respected community based builder.

2.  Research the realtor--if possible find someone I already know and trust.  Definitely make sure my realtor isn't from the same company as the realtor trying to sell the house.

3.  Make sure to negotiate to have them put up gutters.  I never remember to look for gutters until after the first heavy storm.

4.  Have it in writing and in the contract that there will be a 30 day walk through for cosmetic and other issues.  My builder washed his hands of us the minute we walked out of closing.  Don't take the realtor's word for how its standard operating procedure.

5.  Have it in writing that there will be a walk through 30 days before the end of the year.

6.  Get all phone numbers for the people to call when something doesn't work within that year before signing closing paperwork.

7.  When in closing do not let the attorney try and rush you through the paperwork and don't assume that just because it was part of the contract that the builder and closing attorney are making sure you get it.  For example--contract stated the builder agreed to a 2/10 warranty.  I saw a home owner's warranty--asked if it was the 2/10--was assured it was, signed it like an idiot--needed the 2 year wall to wall warranty, went to get it and realized it was just the 10 year structural.  And there is nothing I can do about it but make sure I read everything with a fine tooth comb next time.

8.  build the fence inside my property line.

9.  Make sure I get any HOA paperwork at closing so I don't have to beg for a month to get it.

10.  Make sure I get a plot survey of my house at closing.

11.  Get a landscaping diagram of the sprinkler system.
 

Okay--I think that's it for now.  I'm sure there is more but I'll add it to the list as I remember or learn about them. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm learning here Crystal, thanks. Sorry about your pain though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay--some more tips since I wrote this--

    1. take pictures as you are looking at the house--for two reasons. 1. So that when you are picking out your house you remember what the pros and cons are. 2. So the builder/owner doesn't change stuff after you have put a bid in--for example--I could have sworn this house had the nice 2" blinds and a door with a glass oval, but when we closed on it, neither of those things were in it. I thought it might just be my faulty memory--but nope--the builder got caught trading out doors on a neighbors house after they closed on it.
    2. Also ask for a diagram of where all the wiring for DSL and such is.

    ReplyDelete