Family Photo 2011

Family Photo 2011
Just before the deployment

Friday, September 7, 2012

Freezer meals rock!

Alright, I admit it...I had a semi lazy day today.  I did have to do some running--take Bryce to the orthodontist (She gets her braces off next month!!!), take care of some stuff at the kids' school for the fundraiser, and run to The 1st Tee to make sure we are ready for registration tomorrow.  I had planned to come home and clean and start cooking right away, but I decided I deserved a little R&R so I took a nap. 

No TV today--I am fasting TV on weekdays during September.  Why?  Our church does what we call 9/30.  We are encouraged to fast something (not necessarily food) in order to get closer to God.  Last year I fasted facebook, but since I use it to chat and stay in touch with Danny I had to find something else.  TV seemed to be taking up too much of my free time (what little I had) so I am fasting it during the week.  So today instead of turning the TV on, I took a nap and then, while I was doing my freezer meals, I listened to some great Christian music.  I'm also fasting soda (pop for all my SD friends). 

So, after my nap I did end up getting productive.  I had it on my schedule to do freezer meals today.  Since I was feeling overwhelmed by the busyness of every week night from now till November, I figured that having the meals taken care of would take some of the stress off, and I was right.  I did 13 freezer meals in 2 1/2 hours.  I think it was more like 2, but since I'm unsure as to when I really did start, I'm adding a 1/2 hour.  I found the recipes from two different pins on pinterest.  I moved one to my "finished pins" board, but can't find the other one now. 

Making these meals was super easy.  I started off with the list of meals I wanted to do and the recipes I had printed from pinterest.  I also printed off a calendar so I could plan all my meals for the month.  I made sure I had my freezer bags and sharpies ready.   

Then, I went to it.  Everything mixed inside the baggies, so I had very little mess.  I also had hardly any dirty dishes!
Like I said, I ended up with 13 Freezer meals.  They were:
Sausage & Peppers (x2)
Teriyaki Chicken
Savory Chicken (x2)
Lazy Day Stew (x2)
Sweet and Tangy Meatballs (x2)
Chicken and Rice
Hawaiian Chicken
Teriyaki Pork
Garlic Honey Chicken

All of them are made in the crock pot--so SUPER easy and fast dinners. 

After I got done making the freezer meals (and some how managing to find space for them in the freezer), I got even more organized by planning the meals for the whole month of September. 
See:

So, now I'm feeling pretty proud of myself for actually following through on making the chart.  I only hope I can follow it all month.  This is also going to help me with the food bill because I have everything I need for all the meals through the end of this month, and actually have 3 freezer meals left over to start off October.  Bryce is really good about taking leftovers in for lunch the next day--Jace is okay about it sometimes.  So the only thing I'll really need to get on my shopping trip on the 17th or 18th is snacks and kids' lunch stuff and cereal.  I'll be saving money AND time--shopping should be an in and out trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment