Family Photo 2011

Family Photo 2011
Just before the deployment

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What makes deployments survivable?


Friends ....and family...and friends that are more like family...and definitely prayer.  But this post is about friends--which are an answered prayer so I guess its all interwoven.   I know I have probably mentioned it before, but I need to say it again.  I was struck again today at how valuable a good support system is during a deployment.

This weekend I finally took some friends up on an offer they made me when Danny first left in January.  "If you need anything just ask" is a line us deployed spouses hear a lot...and appreciate.  Some of us are better about asking for help than others.  I'm so-so about asking for help.  If its something I think I can do--its just a pain to do, or a struggle to find time to do--I won't ask for help.  I feel like its showing weakness or something.  I feel like its my responsibility to get it done.  I feel better if I can pay someone to do it, because then I feel like I haven't pawned my chores onto someone else and burdened them.  At any rate, I finally got over it and took Brett and Amy up on their long standing offer of watching the kids so I can have a weekend to unwind.  It was great!

They watched my little ones while I went to a deployed spouses retreat in Savannah.  I got a fake tattoo that said, "US ARMY APPROVED." So now I'm army issue :)  The joke behind that for you civilian folk is that the whole time I was in the Army, and Danny has heard it too, is that "if the Army wanted you to have a family it would have issued it to you."  At any rate, hung out with some great ladies for Ft. Gordon during the day, and since it was in Savannah I was able to catch up with an old Army buddy from my Ft. Stewart days.  Lisa and I got to go out to eat and stay up and chat like teenagers.  It was a much needed break.  So thank you Brett, Amy,  and Lisa for making my weekend!

Other people that are making my life easier right now are Jace's football coaches.  I love seeing Jace get some good positive time in with such great men.  In addition, both, but especially Andy, are willing to help me out in whatever way I need in regard to getting Jace to and from practice in games.  Andy's wife is also awesome and welcoming.  They both have full schedules, but are always willing to help out.

Tonight Bryce started golf, and it was the first night so it had the parent meeting.  This meant I had to stay there until 8 and couldn't get Jace from their scrimmage (which they won by the way).  Andy took him home and Jace got to chill with him.  It was great for me, but it also gave Jace some more time with a great positive role model and some guy time.  As I was picking Jace up tonight Andy said again--we'll take Jace anytime you need help.  Since I need help Thursday, it was a great time to let him know ;)

But in addition to these fine examples, I have some great friends & fabulous church family.  Besides my hubby being home, what more could a girl wish for :)  Thank you to all my friends and family that are making this year so much more bearable!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment