Yes! I feel like I'm getting caught up. Well, not completely, but I have gotten quite a bit done the last three days. I did our budget, finally got to the commissary, caught up on some of the emails I needed to send for both the FRG and for JourneyLand (children's ministry at church). This week I feel renewed and full of purpose. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I have gotten back into the habit of making my prayer time in the morning a priority again. I had gotten away from it because I was too exhausted or busy to do it. So now I'm getting up before 5 to make sure I can get the praying and studying done. If I'm working out I get up at 4 :/ Right now I'm so tired I'm not sure I'll finish this blog coherently ;) (side note-- I had to stop and finish this the next morning!)
The biggest thing in the last couple days have to do more with Bryce. The first thing that I want to share is out of the blue Bryce is talking about missing Daddy. Then she says something like, " I hope you don't get a divorce. I again told her that there wasn't anything to worry about and she said, "What if he finds a new woman over there? It happens." I wonder where she's getting this from. I explained...again..that our commitment is stronger than that. I explained that a marriage--our marriage--isn't just a commitment to each other, but to God as well. I told her that Daddy and I take that seriously.
This conversation along with some of our other conversations about boys she has a crush on keep bringing it home how intentional I have to be in raising Godly kids. If I want the kids to value purity and marriage than I need to start NOW. I need to take every opportunity to tell them what God says about sex and marriage, because TV and our culture aren't waiting and aren't afraid to tell them what they think sex and marriage should be.
On a different topic, the kids are testing their boundaries lately. Bryce has done a great job of having a better attitude this week. But last night she really thought I was going to cave and let her have her way. I went grocery shopping (yes on the 1st and at the commissary and survived) and Jace conned me into buying some ice cream. So for a bedtime snack they knew they could have a scoop of ice cream. Well, at dinner Bryce's stomach hurt and she couldn't finish eating. I told her very simply that it was fine if she didn't finish but that she wouldn't get a bedtime snack. She didn't seem to have a problem with it. "Ok Mom," was the only comment I got--because she thought I'd cave at bedtime. I called Jace down for his bedtime snack and Bryce come's down to "watch" and is looking all deprived. I told her sorry--your stomach hurts and ice cream wouldn't make it feel better. So she runs up to her room crying. She comes back down 2 minutes later to wait for Jace. I tell her again that she's not getting ice cream, give her a hug and kiss goodnight, and she runs back upstairs and cries herself to sleep.
Me being the only parent here is hard on them. When Danny is home he is the disciplinarian, not I. I mean I do discipline, but I can be the softer, gentler, nicer mom. If there is someone to lay down the law about bedtime snacks it was usually Danny. So, to have me in that role now is hard for them. I expected the pushing. I'm just happy I could stay calm and continue to stay strong ;)
Well, enough for yesterday/this morning. Tonight we are going to the circus! I can't wait. I hope to have pics and some fun stories to share :)
Great job, Mom. And I agree TV and the world are already talking to our kids about all kinds of things, so we need to as well. This became really apparent when at 7 years-old Allie is sucking her sweet little tummy in. What the heck is that about. I've always been very careful about my words and views on my body. Health not weight have always been discussed. Well, I decided after the tummy sucking in, I had to talk more openly and specifically about weight. About God. About God and how he loves us just as we are and we are beautiful because he is inside us. Period. And about how beautiful her little tummy is and we don't have to be flat boards and look like boys to be beautiful. Ridiculous that I have to discuss these things with a 7-year-old...BUT I DO.
ReplyDeleteExactly!
ReplyDelete