Family Photo 2011

Family Photo 2011
Just before the deployment

Monday, March 12, 2012

Care packages for my soldier

Today has been a pretty great day.  Before I get to talking about care packages, I have to brag about Jace for a second (especially since Danny reads this and I might forget to tell him this).  So, I try and avoid being at Jace's football practices because experience from the last two seasons has taught me that when I'm there Jace doesn't listen or try as hard.  He will also get "hurt" more because someone is there to baby him.  However, today I was actually able to pick Jace up from practice and went about 15 minutes early.  I was so proud of him.  He did a great job as center, he hustled when the coach told him to hustle, and he did up-downs and running with 100% effort.  On top of that--Jace didn't go off-sides during the off-sides drill.  The coach had the kids in a line and would call "hut, hut" and see if anyone would move.  If someone did the whole team did up-downs.  Jace didn't give a false start once.  This is huge improvement from his first season.  It is so awesome to see how much he is improving--both in skills and attitude.

Okay, so now that I got my bragging out of the way.  Now we can talk care packages.  I have made it a goal to do a whole lot better this deployment than last on the care packages.  Last deployment, as I've already mentioned, I did not do so hot.  I think I might have sent one in a year.  I was so overwhelmed by me and my issues with money.  Care packages meant money and since Danny told me (like he always does) that he is good, I figured why bother.

Well, it hit me recently how utterly selfish I was last deployment.  Care packages aren't supposed to be because he needs something, but because I want to send him some love in a tangible way.  I was really good Danny's first and third deployment (I was deployed with him during the 2nd one).  So I want to get back to being really good at them again.  Luckily, Army Wife Network, armywifenetwork.com, has a whole list of different themed care packages. 

So, I've sent Danny three packages in three months.  The first didn't really count because it was a whole bunch of stuff Danny asked me to get--like clothes and such.  I had fun and threw in some fun things but it wasn't so much of a care packages as sending him things he forgot to take.  The second and third packages I sent at the same time.  I took a picture of one, but forgot the other.  Both ideas came from Army Wife Network.

The last two packages were a Green theme/St. Patrick's Day box, and the second was a small, "I'm blue without you" package where only things that were blue were included.  Here is the green one:
So in this box are two different flavors of gold fish, Girl Scout thin mints, some Jalapeno chips, 2 different flavors pringles, a St. Paddy's day shirt, the kids' four leaf clover art (it looked better on pinterest), a green yo-yo, green energy Mio, a note from Bryce, and some Ande's mints.  His chewing tobacco is also green, but that doesn't count :/  The kids and I also decorated the box.  I think its the first time I've ever done that, but I really wanted to show our love to Danny.  I think he liked it--he said he's keeping the box ;)

The "I'm Blue without You" box was put together more quickly--I had a blue package of Boy Scouts white chocolate covered pretzels (one of Danny's favs), a huge sheet towel in blue, and blue pillow cases with my perfume on it.  I think I also threw in some small samples of stuff.

My next care package--why an Easter basket of course. :D  I'm already starting to collect the stuff as I see things that catches my eye.

FYI--for those of you who have soldiers deployed and they will be gone over their birthday--you might want to stock up on some limited edition Birthday Cake Oreos.  The reviews have been awesome.  


No comments:

Post a Comment