Family Photo 2011

Family Photo 2011
Just before the deployment

Monday, March 5, 2012

Sleeping alone

After last nights long blog tonight will be short and sweet.  I just wanted to share some thoughts I had last night.  For those of you blessed to never have to be without your hubby this might help you understand the military life.  For those of you who share this military calling, you might be able to relate :). 

First, let me say that we have a king size bed.  Danny and I do not cuddle while sleeping--maybe while watching a movie--but when sleeping there is a definite his side and my side.  Garmin (our mini dachshund) also sleeps with us.  Garmin sleeps so close to me I feel like he is permanently attached to my back.  So, you would think that once Danny deployed Garmin and I would spread out--or at least I'd move into the middle of the bed.  Nope--I sleep in exactly the same spot....and so does Garmin.  It feels weird to sleep in the middle of the bed--let alone Danny's side.

The second thing I do while he is gone is spray my pillowcase with his cologne.  Not all the time, but every so often....when I'm really missing him.  I'll probably go up and spray my pillow tonight.

Finally, I realized today, after 10+ years of marriage that I am a blanket hog.  I looked at the bed when I woke up this morning and noticed all the covers pulled to my side of the bed.  So when Danny called I asked him about it.  His comment, "Why do you think I always pull an extra blanket to sleep with at night?  Because I actually want some covers."  I learn something new every deployment.:D

On a side note--those of you who get to spend all your nights together--I truly think you are blessed.  My grandparents have probably been apart a week at the most and that hasn't happened that often.  I used to be envious of that lifestyle, but have learned to appreciate what the military life style has to offer.   For us--Danny and I grow closer during each deployment and we have learned never to take each other for granted.  Every time he comes back we get to feel like we are in the honeymoon stage.  How awesome is that?! We are truly blessed by the military life we lead.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, I want to hug both of you heroes.
    Sweet thoughts you shared Crystal, thank you.
    :-)
    -M

    ReplyDelete