Family Photo 2011

Family Photo 2011
Just before the deployment

Sunday, March 18, 2012

A much needed break

I owe a huge thank you to my awesome friends who took my kids for a night this weekend.  Thank you so much Steve & Kristen and Priscilla and Mike!!   Jace spent the night with his friend Matthew and Bryce spent the night with her friends Alli and Kiersten.  I really owe it to my friends for letting the sleepovers happen. 

Both families took the kids early in the afternoon Saturday and I picked them up after lunch.  It was so nice to have some me time.  I can't explain it but at one point I felt as if I could let out the breathe /tension I had been holding in for forever. 

It was also nice because I really think the kids and I needed a break from each other.  They had been fighting with each other more than normal and just picking at each other and trying to push me to my limits.  Today they have been back to their mostly nice selves. 

However, it did make me realize one thing.  I am rushing around too much.  I can't keep juggling all the things I'm juggling.  I feel like I'm so over extended sometimes that I'm not doing anything well--especially parenting.  I am out of the house so much that I never get a chance to say "hi" to my neighbors and my kids are missing hanging out with their friends.  My house is relatively clean, thanks to my new chore system (it really works!!), but my "to-do" list keeps getting longer.

 I stood in Home Depot this weekend about ready to cry because I was so overwhelmed that the simplest things got to me.  I couldn't find what Danny told me to to get and no one was around to ask, so I just skipped that--went to get air filters and couldn't find those right away--and then I had no clue where to look for silicone caulk or foam filler.  Luckily by the time I was looking for the last two items I must have looked pretty pathetic because someone finally asked if I needed help.  Let me qualify this mini-breakdown with the fact that I normally am pretty capable in Home Depot and can find what I need.  But today for some reason it just got to me.  

So I have to learn to step back and say "no."  Its not a word I'm very comfortable with. I'm getting better, but I hate disappointing people.  Or rather I hate not keeping a commitment I've already made.  However I need to say no to some of those commitments because I haven't been able to do other things I need to do.  Like grocery shopping.  I haven't done a real grocery shopping trip in about a month--which isn't good on the check book or my waistline.    I made a real dinner tonight and the kids asked me what the special occasion was :/   It wasn't even anything hard or complicated--just chicken, some minute rice, green beens, and peaches (from a can LOL).  At least I've set the bar low so that when I do go all out at Easter they will be amazed.  Although I'm not sure how "all out" I'm going to go for the three of us but obviously it doesn't have to be much--deviled eggs and a pie and they'll be over the moon. 

I know I have a lot still on my "to-do" list but I'm going to go to bed so I can wake up early to work out, pray, and have a great day.  I might even get something done off my list in the morning--but nothing but pinterest or facebook will happen in the funk I'm in right now.

 On the bright note (I can't leave you on a negative note) I only have three days of work this week.  The MI Ball is this week and I took Thursday and Friday off to enjoy it.  A group of us gals who have hubbies away decided we were all going to go have a good time and I am so looking forward to it. 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE Home Depot... yes, I know I'm a little weird ;) So, if you ever feel overwhelmed again in the future or just want some company, let me know! :o)

    ReplyDelete