Family Photo 2011

Family Photo 2011
Just before the deployment

Sunday, January 15, 2012

One week down..51 more to go

I have been beating myself up all week that I didn't journal here for the rest of the week.  Part of it was being busy, and part of it was falling into a little bit of a funk.  Its normal for me to do this.  And its not being anti-social--I still made it to all my commitments and had time to chat with the neighbors--but its coming home and not wanting to do a single thing.  I didn't want to clean, to cook, to write on this blog, read (and I love to read)--NOTHING.   It sucks because I know I should be doing something--organizing things for church, or work, or the FRG (family readiness group) but instead I get myself sucked into things were I don't really have to think--you know--like facebook or pinterest.  (Those are my favorite time wasters.) ;)  But any way--the funk creates a vicious cycle--I start feeling bad about not doing anything, or calling anyone & my to-do list gets longer which makes me avoid my list even more and become an even bigger procrastinator.  So here I sit, with a list of things to-do.  I am pretty proud I'm sitting here typing--'cause that's something. 

However, doing nothing did have its perks this week.  I was able to sit and watch a movie with the kids in the middle of the week.  Normally its homework and playing with friends.  But one night the kids wanted to watch a movie, I was in procrastination mode, which allowed me to sit and enjoy the time with the kids.  Thanks to a knew series at church, I didn't even feel guilty about it because I knew it was the best choice of how to spend my time--spending it with the kids.  Tonight my procrastinating let me say yes to Bryce when she wanted to get in the hot tub.  It was nice spending some one on one time with my baby girl.  So maybe the funk wasn't all bad. 

At any rate, the highlight for this weekend was having my partner-in-crime during this deployment come over with her two kids, go to church with me, and then spend the night.  I call her my partner-in-crime because her husband deployed at the same time and to the same place as mine.  We sat in the hot tub with a glass of wine and chatting until late in the night.  It was great.  The deployments that have been the easiest are ones that I have had a great friend to share the deployment with. 

My first deployment when Bryce was a newborn I had Sarah.  She was and still is a true friend and I am not sure how I would have survived that first deployment without her to laugh & cry with.  I had minor postpartum with Bryce and it was because of her that I was able to figure it out.  Oh--and she went into my chain of command (I was active duty at the time) and yelled at them for not taking better care of me. (I was completely unaware of this until afterwards)   Everyone needs a Sarah during a deployment.  I'm hoping that Vicki and I can be that for each other this deployment.  Friday night was a great way to start. 

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the excitement in the neighborhood yesterday.  The houses across the street backed up to the woods.  Well, yesterday I went outside to check the mail and the woods were on fire!! Luckily no one's home were damaged, but it was a little scary for a second.  A construction worker from down the street saved the day because he plowed a dirt barrier between the houses and the fire.  Today there were still patches that were smoldering.    I really hope the rest of the deployment is more calm than week one.










No comments:

Post a Comment